Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
What is the significance of all the users and groups?
I’m a newbie just kind of toying with setting up a web server. I found a tutorial that said to change ownership of a new domain’s directory to www-data:www-data but then I noticed the default directory was root:root.
So I now have these questions:
- I found that there is already a user and group called www-data but what does that mean?
- When someone visits the website they’re viewing it as the www-data user?
- Is that a default user or is it something nginx created?
- Does the www-data group have limited permissions or something?
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×