Snapshots are on-demand disk images of DigitalOcean Droplets and volumes saved to your account. Use them to create new Droplets and volumes with the same contents.
Snapshot Droplets and Volumes
To snapshot a Droplet:
- Shut down the Droplet with
sudo shutdown -h now.
- From the control panel, click the Droplet you want to snapshot.
- From the Droplet's page, click Snapshots, then click Take Snapshot.
You can also take a live snapshot by following the same steps without powering down your Droplet.
To snapshot a volume:
- From the control panel, click Volumes.
- Open the More menu for the volume you want to snapshot, then click Take Snapshot.
Create Droplets and Volumes from Snapshots
To create a new Droplet from a snapshot:
- On the Droplet create page, under Choose an image, select Snapshots.
- Choose the snapshot you'd like to create the Droplet from.
- Fill out the rest of the choices on the create page, then click Create.
To create a new volume from a snapshot:
- From the control panel, click Images, then Snapshots, and finally Volumes.
- Select any volume snapshot, click its More menu, and click Create Volume.
- In the window that opens, choose the size of the new volume, then click Create Volume.
To permanently delete a snapshot:
- From the control panel, click Images, then Snapshots.
- From a snapshot's More menu, click Delete.
- Confirm the deletion by clicking Delete Snapshot in the window that opens.