To follow along, you will need a DigitalOcean account. If you don’t already have one, you can register on the sign up page.
Snapshot Droplets and Volumes
To snapshot a Droplet:
- Shut down the Droplet with
sudo shutdown -h now.
- From the control panel, click on the Droplet you want to snapshot.
- From the left menu on the Droplet’s page, click Snapshots, then click Take Snapshot.
You can alternatively take a live snapshot by following the same steps without powering down your Droplet.
To snapshot a Volume:
- From the control panel, click Volumes.
- Open the More menu for the volume you want to snapshot, then click Take Snapshot.
Create Droplets and Volumes from Snapshots
To create a new Droplet from a snapshot:
- On the Droplet create page, under Choose an image, select Snapshots.
- Choose the snapshot you’d like to create the Droplet from.
- Fill out the rest of the choices on the create page, then click Create.
To create a new volume from a snapshot:
- From the control panel, click Images, then Snapshots, and finally Volumes.
- Select any volume snapshot, click its More menu, and click Create Volume.
- In the dialog that opens, choose the size of the new volume, then click Create Volume.
From the control panel, click Images, then Snapshots. From a snapshot’s More menu, click Delete, then click Delete Snapshot in the confirmation window that opens.