Load Balancer Quickstart
To follow along, you will need a DigitalOcean account. If you don’t already have one, you can register on the sign up page.
Create a Load Balancer
- From the control panel, click Create in the top right, and then Load Balancers.
- Choose a name, datacenter region, and forwarding rules. Make sure you choose the same datacenter region as any existing Droplets you want use in the backend.
- Click Create Load Balancer. This will take you from the main page to the root of your new load balancer.
Add and Remove Droplets
All backend Droplets must be in the same region as the load balancer.
To add Droplets:
- From the root of your load balancer, click Choose Droplets.
- You can choose the Droplets for the backend in two ways: manually or by using a tag. In the modal, select the Droplets or tag you want to use, then click Add Droplets.
To remove Droplets:
- From the root of your load balancer, click More next to the Droplet you’d like to remove.
- In the More dropdown, click Remove.
Use SSL Certificates
Existing certificates, both Let’s Encrypt and custom, appear in the Certificate dropdown list when creating your load balancer, or in the Forwarding Rules on the Settings tab after creation. You can assign any existing certificates in the HTTPS and HTTP/2 forwarding rules.
To delete an existing certificate:
- Open the Security menu.
- In the Certificates section, open the More menu of the certificate you’d like to delete.
- Click Delete and confirm the deletion.
Note that when a certificate is in use, it cannot be deleted. You can delete the forwarding rule or edit it so that it no longer uses the certificate, then return to the Certificates tab and delete it.
Delete a Load Balancer
- From the root of your load balancer, click the Settings tab.
- Click the red Destroy button, then the red Confirm button.
The Droplets associated with your load balancer will stop receiving distributed traffic, but the Droplets themselves will not be destroyed.