Private Networking Quickstart
To follow along, you will need a DigitalOcean account. If you don’t already have one, you can register on the sign up page.
Enable Private Networking during Droplet Creation
The easiest way to enable private networking on a Droplet is during creation.
To enable private networking when you create a Droplet:
- From the Droplet create page, in the Additional Options section, check Private Networking.
- When you’ve selected all of your options, click the Create button at the bottom of the page.
Once the Droplet is created, its private IP address is displayed in the header. You can also click the Droplet’s name, then visit its Networking link to view more private network information.
Enable Private Networking on Existing Droplets
To enable private networking on an existing Droplet:
- Shut down the Droplet with
sudo shutdown -h now.
- On the Droplets page, click the name of the Droplet, then select Networking from the side navigation.
- In the Private network section, click the Enable button.
- Turn the Droplet back on by clicking the On/Off switch in the control panel.
- Manually configure the network interface on the Droplet. Instruction differ depending on which Linux distribution your Droplet is running.