Pricing & Billing - Payment Question/Issues
- What form of payments do you accept?
We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, and PayPal.
- What is an outstanding balance?
Balances are considered outstanding if a payment has failed to process on the first of the month, or if the value you have loaded via PayPal is not enough to pay the invoice in full. If you receive a 'Server Termination Urgent' notice, you will need to contact DigitalOcean Support to remove the lock on your account to pay the outstanding balance. If we don't hear from you within 14 days from when your account was suspended, your Droplets will be purged and data will not be available for recovery. If you have any questions about an outstanding balance, how to add a payment option, or about billing in general, please feel free to contact DigitalOcean Support.
- What if I need an extension? Should I contact support?
You have until the 21st of the month before a suspension will occur. If you feel that you need more time than that, then please contact our support team and we will be glad to assist.
- How much time do I have to make a payment once my invoice becomes due?
If you are using a credit/debit card your card will automatically be charged on the first of the next month for usage in the current month. If for some reason your payment fails you will have 21 days to pay the past due invoice before your account is suspended.
- Can I change my invoice date or charge my card on a specific date?
We do not at present have the ability to change invoice dates. We invoice and charge credit/debit cards on the 1st of each month for the previous month's usage. We encourage you to share your thoughts about this in our feedback forum: http://do.co/uservoice
- My credit card expired or has been declined and the payment failed. How do I fix it to prevent my account from being suspended?
You can resolve this issue by adding a new credit card to your account or by making a deposit via PayPal. As we do not allow credit cards to be edited, you will need to delete the old credit card and add a new one. Our billing system will also send you payment reminders before any actions such as service suspension are taken on your account.
- Why was my credit card declined?
There are many reasons your card may be declined, but your bank doesn't always pass this information along to DigitalOcean. It is also not unusual that a card might work in some situations and not others. Your bank should be able to tell you more about the declined payment and root cause.
- What do I need to know about using credit, debit, or prepaid cards from India?
- Your card needs to be enabled for International transactions.
- Cards issued by Citibank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, IndusInd Bank, RBL Bank, Axis Bank and Kotak Mahindra Bank have lower decline rates than other banks.
- If your card is declined on the first attempt then reach out to your bank to find the cause/allow the payments
- Why is my account on hold? What do I do now?
If your Credit Card payment was not successful or the PayPal/Credit balance does not cover the full invoice, then your account will placed on a temporary hold.
Not to worry though, no action is taken against your account at this time and you simply need to pay the balance in your billing page. You will have until the 21st of the month to make payment before suspension occurs. If you have any issues making payment, please reach out to our support team and we will be glad to assist.
- Why was my account suspended? What do I do now?
If payment in full has not been received by the 21st of the month after a failed payment, then the account is suspended, which disables droplets on the account and prevents further actions across the account outside of payment and contacting our support team. After suspension occurs you have until the 5th of the following month (2 weeks) before the account is terminated.
You can make payment on your account by accessing the billing page. If you run into any issues please feel free to reach out to our support team and we will be glad to assist.
- If I have multiple credit cards on file, which one do you charge?
Our billing system will attempt to charge your cards starting with the most recently added card. If there is a specific card you'd like to use for payment, please make sure it is the most recently added card or delete any other cards from your account.
- Do you accept debit cards? How about virtual, electron, and prepaid cards?
We accept debit cards for all accounts. If you see an error authorizing or using a card, you may need to check the balance on your card or reach out to your bank for more information.
- How am I charged if I have both PayPal and a credit card on file?
At the end of the month, if there is a balance on your account, our billing system will attempt to charge any credit cards that you have on file on the 1st of the month. If you'd like to use PayPal instead, please make sure your account has enough credit at all times to cover your monthly billings.
- Am I charged when I enter a credit card?
When you enter a card, we only run an authorization charge of $1.23. This authorization is refunded back to your card by your bank in no more than 30 days. If you have an outstanding balance on the account, the new card will be charged within 24 hours. Otherwise, your card is charged at the end of the monthly billing cycle.
- I submitted a PayPal payment. Why hasn't my balance been updated?
Balances are not updated in real time. Once you submit your PayPal payment it gets processed and added to our system. You should see the updated balance in a few hours.