DigitalOcean deploys in Equinix to expand Asia-Pacific growth
Emerging cloud hosting startup selects Platform Equinix in Singapore as part of strategic regional development
SINGAPORE — May 6, 2014 — Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that DigitalOcean has chosen one of its International Business ExchangeTM (IBX®) data centers in Singapore (SG2) to support its expansion into the Asia-Pacific market. This deployment will allow the company to provide its existing customers with greater access to the Asian market and offer its cloud infrastructure to the growing developer community in the region. DigitalOcean is currently deployed in Equinix's data centers in New York, San Francisco, and Amsterdam.
The company offers a seamless experience for developers by providing reliable solid state drive (SSD) cloud server infrastructure and simplified application programming interfaces. The company's innovative approach and rapid scalability is a prime example of high-tech startups that local entrepreneurs have been encouraged to emulate. By collaborating with Equinix, DigitalOcean can expand its international presence in a key emerging region and tap into new growth opportunities in markets including Australia, India, Southeast Asia and Japan.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore announced an allocation of $10 million budget earlier this year to support tech startups and innovative product development1 cloud adoption rate, Singapore offers DigitalOcean new opportunities to expand its business.
- Having grown its customer base to 200,000 within three years and with rising demand for its services in Asia-Pacific region, DigitalOcean was looking to rapidly scale its data center capacity globally. By deploying in Equinix's IBX in Singapore, the company can now serve the international developer community, while utilizing Singapore as a gateway to Australia and other Asian markets.
- Platform Equinix™ provides DigitalOcean with the close proximity it needs to reduce latency to 30 milliseconds compared to 200 milliseconds if connecting via Amsterdam or San Francisco. This enables the company's customers to offer services in the Asia-Pacific region with the highest level of performance uptime.
- In Singapore, as in New York, San Francisco and Amsterdam, Equinix's network dense and rich ecosystem grants DigitalOcean direct and secure access to over 4,500 customers, allowing the company to expand its network of business partners globally.
- Equinix is the optimal choice for cloud providers who are looking to enter the Asia- Pacific region. With over 975 network providers and data center locations in key markets, cloud providers like DigitalOcean can serve their international end users with fast, agile and secure cloud solutions.
- DigitalOcean will also have the ability to scale its services in the future with Equinix's global data center footprint of more than 100 facilities in 32 strategic markets, including Singapore, a fast-growing hub for cloud adoption and hosting services.
- Clement Goh, managing director, Equinix South Asia:
"Singapore is an excellent location for DigitalOcean's strategic expansion in the Asia- Pacific region. The positive political climate and investment in tech startups presents promising new opportunities. As a startup, it is imperative for DigitalOcean to maintain an agile and flexible architecture for scalability in future, which Equinix is able to provide. In addition, the company's customer base of developers from startups as well as mature enterprises can expect low latency connectivity and zero concerns of performance downtime < zero concerns may be a little too grand of a promise. Because we're not quoted as saying it, it's probably not a big deal, but just something I wanted to point out. "Little concern" may be a little more accurate., a key consideration in today's demand for a constantly connected world."
- Mitch Wainer – chief marketing officer and founder, DigitalOcean:
"With our rapidly growing customer base, it is critical that we are able to effectively meet increasing demand for capacity in a timely manner, without compromising on quality of service. Our experience with Equinix has shown that selecting a data center provider that consistently delivers excellent global connectivity and reliable infrastructure is absolutely vital. Deploying in the Equinix IBX data center in Singapore not only allows us to continue providing the highest level of service to existing customers, but also access new customers in a thriving region."
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,500 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world's most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 32 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia- Pacific. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
Equinix Media Contacts
- Lorraine Little-Bigelow
Equinix Asia-Pacific + (852) 2970 7742
- Laurent Decosse / Daphne Chuah
LEWIS PR + 65 6571 9140
Founded in 2012, DigitalOcean provides the easiest cloud platform to deploy, manage, and scale applications of any size, removing infrastructure friction and providing predictability so developers and their teams can spend more time building software that customers love. DigitalOcean is approaching $200 million in run rate and has a community of 3.5 million developers with 12 data centers across the globe. In addition to its headquarters in New York, DigitalOcean has an office in Cambridge, Mass. and remote employees around the world. For more information, simply visit https://www.digitalocean.com or follow @digitalocean on Twitter.