Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Why would someone install Postfix rather than just setting up the digital ocean SMTP?
I’m using Vesta Control Panel for managing my VPS, and since I don’t want to be charged monthly fees from those email providers I decided to run my own mail server.
I’m not sharing my resources with anybody, I’m using them for my own marketing only (no reselling!)
But, actually, I’m so confused for now, there are many people out there talking about Postfix as if it’s something crucial when it comes to sending & receiving emails!
I have 3 questions please:
- Is Postfix so important in ANY way?
- Can I ignore Postfix and just setup the digital ocean SMTP and I’m good to go?
- Is the high configuration of my mail server so important for my own delivery when I’m not sharing my mail server? In other words, is high configuration could cause my emails to label as spam, as if I dig my grave myself?
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×