Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Configure IMAP/SMTP on existing Droplet for existing Domain (Ubuntu 20.04)
I have a Droplet with a domain/website hosted on it using LAMP. I want to add a webmail server, to be able to send e-mails through SMTP and receive e-mails to forward them to external IMAP clients.
I need to send e-mails for app/site notifications, I send e-mails through simple SMTP scripts. And I need to receive e-mails being sent to my email@example.com to then forward them to external IMAP clients.
I want to configure it with the minimum requirements, cause I want to have it in the same server where I host my site and I don’t want it to consume too much memory/cpu.
I’ve seen this Postfix steps (https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-postfix-on-ubuntu-20-04) but I don’t know if it’s what I need.
I also believe that I need to configure some DNS records, such as MX, SPF, DMARC and DKIM. But these are not mentioned on above link.
- I do not own any e-mail hosting server, my intention is to create one with this. Is Postfix what I need?
- I want to create e-mail accounts such as: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- I don’t want to control an external e-mail account, I want to host it here in this server.
Thanks in advance.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×