/etc/cron.daily/apt: FATAL -> Failed to fork

  • Posted on September 26, 2014
  • diditAsked by didit

I am using ubuntu 14.04 64 bit. I got the following messege through my email.

FATAL -> Failed to fork.
channel: could not find working mirror, channel failed
sa-update failed for unknown reasons

And then I cannot login to my virtualmin and got the following message : “Server not found”

But I can login to to check my email.

When I try, login with SSH, everything is okay. Then I reboot and everything is work. I encountered this problem many times and have to reboot to resolve this issue.

I am sure this problem is in my webmin virtualmin but I don’t know how to fix this.

Please help me.

Submit an answer

This textbox defaults to using Markdown to format your answer.

You can type !ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!

Sign In or Sign Up to Answer

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

Want to learn more? Join the DigitalOcean Community!

Join our DigitalOcean community of over a million developers for free! Get help and share knowledge in Q&A, subscribe to topics of interest, and get courses and tools that will help you grow as a developer and scale your project or business.

FATAL -> Failed to fork.

Generally, this message indicates that the apt process is running out of memory. That virtualmin is down as well is a good sign that the whole system is running low. Most likely the database has crashed. You can look for out of memory messages in /var/log/syslog in order to confirm this.

The first thing I would do (if you haven’t done so already) is add a SWAP file to the server. Check out:

I solved this by removing the apt-xapian-index package. It’s apparently a memory and CPU hog, and it’s run as part of the daily cron. To remove, do the following:

sudo apt-get remove apt-xapian-index -y

Hi! I’ve been receiving these emails on the last few days, after I installed Postfix into my Droplet. Even though I did not see OOM errors in the logs, I created a swap file following the steps from the mentioned tutorial. Let’s see if the problem is gone :)

Thank you!