We participate in and comply with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework as set forth by the US Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of Personal Data from European Economic Area ("EEA") member countries. You can find out more about our commitment to the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework below.
What Information Do We Collect And Why?
We may collect the following types of information from our users, some of which will be Personal Information and some of which will not be Personal Information.
User Content and Account Information:
As part of your Account information, DigitalOcean collects and stores information, including the full name, company name, billing address, email address, IP address, landing page, and referring URL, for all users upon registration and use of the Services. You acknowledge that this information may be personal to you, and by creating an Account on the Services and providing Personal Information to us, you allow us, our affiliates, our service providers and our contractors to identify you and, therefore, your use of the Services may not be anonymous.
Use of collected information
- Fraud Detection
- Service Improvement
- Customer Analytics
In addition to any information you convey in emails to us, we may also receive a confirmation when you open an email from us. We collect and use this information to improve our customer service.
IP Address Information and Other Information Collected Automatically:
- We may automatically receive and record information from your web browser when you interact with the Services, including your IP address. An IP address is a number assigned to you by your Internet service provider so you can access the Internet. We receive IP addresses in the normal course of the operation of our Site. We may automatically collect and record information about your use of features of our Services, about the functionality of our Services, and other information related to your interactions with the Services. We use the information we automatically collect and record to analyze trends, to administer, monitor and improve the Site and Services, to track users' use of the Site and Services, and to gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. We do not use IP addresses to identify you personally or disclose them to others. This information is used for fighting spam/malware and also to facilitate collection of data concerning your interaction with the Services (e.g., what links you have clicked on).
- Generally, the Services may automatically collect usage information, such as the number and frequency of visitors to the Site. We may use this data in aggregate form, that is, as a statistical measure, but not in a manner that would identify you personally. This type of aggregate data enables us and third parties authorized by us to figure out how often individuals use parts of the Services so that we can analyze and improve them.
Information Collected from Droplets:
- As one of our many Services, we provide a Droplet feature, which is a virtual private server. You can enable certain enhanced monitoring metrics on your Droplet by installing software automatically when you create your Droplet by selecting Monitoring on your cloud console or API, or by installing the software on your Droplet manually at any time. More information can be found in our Monitoring guide.
- This monitoring software collects information about CPU, disk, bandwidth, and memory usage as well as other system-level data and metrics about processes and services that run on your Droplet. You can use this data about your Droplet to view metrics and track performance of your Droplet. We may use data gathered from the Droplets to help us improve our products and services and to develop future products and services. We may use Aggregate Information (as defined below) collected from Droplets for marketing purposes.
- If the "Monitoring" check box is selected, then the monitoring software will be installed by default on your Droplet. If you do not wish to install this monitoring software on your Droplet, make sure that the monitoring checkbox is not checked during the creation of the Droplet, or specify it accordingly in the API.
- Droplet monitoring preferences can only be modified by the person/entity that created and otherwise controls the Droplet.
- You can uninstall this monitoring software from your Droplet at any time by removing the package using the native package manager. For more information about how to install or uninstall this monitoring software on your Droplet, please click here.
Information Collected Using Cookies:
- As is true of most web sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. To collect this information, when you visit our Site, a "cookie" may be set on your computer. Cookies contain a small amount of information that allows our web servers to recognize you whenever you visit. We store information that we collect through cookies, log files and/or clear gifs to create "settings" regarding your preferences.
Information Related to Advertising:
To support and enhance the Services, we may serve advertisements, and also allow third parties advertisements, through the Services. These advertisements are sometimes targeted and served to particular users. DigitalOcean may partner with third parties to display advertisements targeted to visitors of the Services. To do so, DigitalOcean stores a cookie for visitors for the purpose of displaying advertising.
We may collect statistical information about how users use the Services ("Aggregate Information"). Some of this information may be derived from Personal Information. This statistical information is not Personal Information.
Protecting the privacy of children is especially important. For that reason, we do not collect or maintain information at our Site from those we know are under 13 years of age, and our Site is a general audience site not intended for users under the age of 13.
How, and With Whom, Is My Information Shared?
Summary of Information Sharing:
Information submitted to us is only available and utilized by our employees and systems responsible for providing services to our customers and to contracted service providers for the purposes of providing Services relating to our communications with you.
DigitalOcean may share your information with contracted service providers if sharing your information is necessary to provide a Service you have requested, as part of a joint sales promotion or to pass sales leads to one of our distribution partners, or to keep you up-to-date on product announcements, software updates, special offers or other information. If your information is shared with third parties, we will strive to only provide the information they need to deliver the Service. We will aim to restrict these companies from using your information for any other purpose, and you may choose not to have your information given to such a third party.
DigitalOcean's employees and contracted service providers have been trained to handle such data properly and in accordance with our security protocols and strict standards of confidentiality. Although we cannot guarantee against any loss, misuse, unauthorized disclosure, alteration or destruction of data, we take reasonable precautions to prevent such unfortunate occurrences.
DigitalOcean remains responsible and liable under the Privacy Shield Principles in case of any onward transfer for the data processing operations undertaken by third-parties on its behalf.
Public Information About Your Activity on the Services:
Some of your activity on and through the Services may be public, such as content you post publicly on the Site or otherwise through the Services. By posting such information on the Site, you agree that it may be viewed and used by other users or otherwise. Please also remember that if you choose to provide Personal Information using certain public features of the Services, then that information is governed by the privacy settings of those particular features and may be publicly available. Individuals reading such information may use or disclose it to other individuals or entities without our control and without your knowledge, and search engines may index that information.
IP Address Information:
Information You Elect to Share:
We may share Aggregate Information with our partners, service providers and other persons with whom we conduct business. We share this type of statistical data so that our partners can understand how and how often people use our Services and their services or websites, which facilitates improving both their services and how our Services interface with them. In addition, these third parties may share with us non-private, aggregated or otherwise non Personal Information about you that they have independently developed or acquired.
Email Communications with Us:
DigitalOcean may send occasional promotional materials to you via email. We try to respect your time and attention by controlling the frequency of our mailings. Each email sent contains an easy way for you to cease receiving email from us. If you wish to do this, simply follow the instructions found at the end of any email. If you have received unwanted, unsolicited email sent via this system or purporting to be sent via this system, please forward a copy of that email with your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Regardless, we reserve the right to contact you for informational or account-related purposes when we believe it is necessary.
Access to Payment Processor Information:
As stated above, we use Payment Processors to collect and store financial information. However, we may from time to time request and receive some of your financial information from our Payment Processors for the purposes of completing transactions you have initiated through the Services, protecting against or identifying possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
Information Shared with Our Service Providers:
We employ and contract with people and other entities that perform certain tasks on our behalf (our "Service Providers"). We may need to share Personal Information with our Service Providers in order to provide products or services to you. Our Service Providers do not have any right to use Personal Information or other information we share with them beyond what is necessary to assist us in order to provide the products or services requested by you.
Information Disclosed Pursuant to Business Transfers:
Information Disclosed for Our Protection and the Protection of Others:
Information We Share With Your Consent:
Is Information About Me Secure?
DigitalOcean is committed to protecting Personal Information. To do so we employ a variety of security technologies and measures intended to protect our information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. DigitalOcean has a corporate policy in place that requires all personnel not to disclose Personal Information to any third party that is not entitled to have that information. If you have any questions about the security at our Site, you can send an email to email@example.com. Please note, however, that DigitalOcean cannot fully eliminate security risks associated with the collection, disclosure and storage of your information and that mistakes and security breaches may occur. We do not guarantee or warrant that such techniques will prevent unauthorized access to information about you that we store, Personal Information or otherwise.
How Can I Access, Correct, Amend or Delete my Personal Information?
You have the right to access and correct, amend or delete your Personal Information held by DigitalOcean.
If you are a registered user, you can access information and ask for correction of your information, if necessary, that is associated with your Account by logging into the Services. Registered and unregistered users can access and delete cookies through their web browser settings.
Registered users can delete Personal Information through their Accounts. Such deleted Personal Information will no longer be stored in DigitalOcean's databases, with the exception of: email address, network logs or cases where fraudulent or otherwise illegal activity has been deemed to have occurred as determined by law enforcement or DigitalOcean, in which case such information may remain in DigitalOcean's database for the purposes of addressing any such fraudulent or otherwise illegal activity.
If you terminate your Account, any association between your Account and information we store will no longer be accessible through your Account. However, any public activity on your Account prior to deletion will remain stored on our servers and will remain accessible to the public.
To further request access, correction, amendment or deletion of your Personal Information, you can also directly email DigitalOcean at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Choices Do I Have Regarding My Information?
You can use some of the features of the Services without registering, thereby limiting the type of information that we collect.
You can always opt not to disclose certain information to us, even though it may be needed to take advantage of some of our Services' features.
You have the right to object to the processing and use of your Personal Information as well as the disclosure of your Personal Information to third parties. Please email DigitalOcean at email@example.com to make such a request. Please note that opting-out of receiving promotional email will not affect delivery of service-related, transactional, or legal communication.
To protect your privacy and security, we may also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before updating or removing your information. The information you provide us may be archived or stored periodically by us according to backup processes conducted in the ordinary course of business for disaster recovery purposes. Where permitted by law, your ability to access and correct Personal Information will be temporarily limited where access and correction could: inhibit DigitalOcean's ability to comply with a legal obligation; inhibit DigitalOcean's ability to investigate, make or defend legal claims; result in disclosure of Personal Information about a third party; or result in breach of a contract or disclosure of trade secrets or other proprietary business information belonging to DigitalOcean or a third party.
International Data Transfers
DigitalOcean is a global business. We may transfer Personal Information to countries other than the country in which the data was originally collected. These countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you initially provided the information. When we transfer your Personal Information to other countries, we will protect that information as described in this Privacy Notice.
EU – U.S. Privacy Shield
To access the Privacy Shield List and to find details of our certification please visit: https://www.privacyshield.gov/.
If a complaint cannot be resolved with DigitalOcean directly, DigitalOcean has agreed to cooperate with JAMS. If you are not satisfied with the resolution of your complaint, please contact JAMS at https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield to address complaints.
You may, under limited circumstances, invoke binding arbitration for complaints not resolved by the above mechanisms. Additional information can be found at https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=ANNEX-I-introduction.
DigitalOcean is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) with regards to our compliance with the EU – U.S. Privacy Shield.
What If I Have Questions or Concerns?
DigitalOcean, LLC is responsible for the processing of your Personal Information. If you have any further questions or concerns regarding privacy using the Services, or if you'd like to exercise your rights or choices as specified above, including the right to withdraw your consent, please send us a detailed message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
©2017 DigitalOcean, Inc. All rights reserved.