Question

Droplet Performance after re-size

Over the last few days I have resized (memory and drive space due to changes in the pricing structure) three droplets on NYC3, I have noticed a decrease in performance with all three but more so with our main webserver.

2 droplets original size 2GB RAM 40GB HDD 2 vCPU’s changed to 4GB RAM 80GB HDD 2 vCPU’s. One is the webserver the other provides database services.

1 droplet original size 1GB RAM 30GB HDD 1 vCPU’s changed to2GB RAM 50GB HDD 1 vCPU’s. This is a development droplet.

Prior to the resize the website (solarpanelstore.com) when checked with GTmetric had an approximate load time around 3 seconds now it is closer to 6+ seconds, looking at the waterfall graph I notice that there is a considerable long wait time before anything happens (greater than 4 secs). Also CPU usage has gone up dramatically compared to before the resize.

With the other two droplets I have noticed an increase in disk latency.

I had expected after the resize to benefit from the increase in RAM but at the moment that is not the case in fact I have had a performance decrease.

Currently the configuration for each droplet is the same pre and post resize therefore I would expect at least a status quo. (I can produce DataDog graphics which illustrate the changes).

Wondering if I need to change data centers to get better performances. Any help appreciated.


Submit an answer

This textbox defaults to using Markdown to format your answer.

You can type !ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!

Sign In or Sign Up to Answer

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

Same problem here, when I resize I went from 2GB (80%usage) to 3GB(90%) to 4GB(98%)

Same problem here. Changed 16Gb RAM droplet to 32Gb RAM and everything slowed down significantly.

My main purpose is running heavy MySQL queries. So same queries started to work at least twice longer than before. Even when I allocated more RAM to innodb. And no response from support for 3 days already. Started considering another provider because this situation is just ridiculous.

Same here :(