Best practice for Deployments
This is a general question:
I have the following setup:
- 2 Droplets (one for production and the other for development)
- Nginx (for reverse proxy ~ I have to subdomains api-dev and api that redirects to the respectively droplet)
- Node.js Application (running as a daemon with pm2)
Right now the application is working as expected (Node.js and MongoDB on the same droplets), when I need to deploy a new change to production, basically i do the following steps:
- Move to the application directory
- git pull the changes (from master)
- pm2 restart api (restart daemon)
Right now is very simple the process, I want to learn better ways (practices) to do it. So, I have a few question:
I have read a little about docker (but still don’t get it):
How can I benefit from docker?
Should I have an image for Node.js and another for MongoDB? (or just one with Node.js app and MongoDB installation)?
Right now, If I add another droplet I need to modify the nginx, is there a way to automated?
How can integrate the load balancer with nginx?
Is it better to have the MongoDB in a separate droplet? (why or why not?)
*Please share any best practice about Deployments
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×