Best strategy for a multiplayer realtime server?
I’ve a problem and I need your help. I’m developing a multiplayer realtime game and I need the advice of any expert in server realtime programming. I’m an expert in client programming and even though I’ve done the basic server I need in Java, I don’t know how to face problems like supporting a big demand of users.
Some characteristics about the needs of my project:
- The behaviour of the server is similar to a chat system.
- There won’t be any access to hard drive to save/read anything.
- The amount of heap memory foreach thread managing a room up to 10 players is almost non-existent.
- In each room thread there is no compute intensive calculations because its behaviour is basically to broadcast message between players.
- Each thread is going to broadcast every 100 millisecons packets around 5 Kbytes of information.
- The server is done in Java.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×