Question

Cache problem on static site app

Posted April 12, 2021 119 views
Caching

I have a static site app in the apps platform accessible through a route on my domain and wild card domain, for example:

companya.mydomain.com/portal
companyb.mydomain.com/portal

If I update my static website on github then it gets deployed correctly.

However, if I check companya.mydomain.com/portal then it is shows the old (cached) version of the site. To see the new version I have to go to a random subdomain to see it:

random.mydomain.com/portal -> shows updated version!!

I cleared the cache on my computer and I get the same issue, if I use another computer that I have not used before then it gives me the same. So it is not a cache issue on the local machine.

It seems that waiting a day resolves the issue....!

How can this be resolved?

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

×
Submit an Answer
1 answer

Hi there,

I think that I’ve seen this too, I could suggest trying to do the deployment manually by clicking on the Deploy button.

Let me know how this goes!
Regards,
Bobby

  • Hi Bobby,

    Thanks for the reply, I did as you said and did a manual deploy using the deploy button, however that did not make a difference. I still get the old version and can only see the new version on a different subdomain.
    Tomorrow I will see the new version as the cache expires, which is really awkward.

    Best regards,
    Eric

    • Hi there Eric,

      I did some more research, it looks like that this is indeed an issue with wildcard domains.

      The DigitalOcean App Platform team has started working on a fix but in the meantime, what you could do is to add each of the subdomains to your app if possible to ensure that the cache is cleared on deploy.

      This has been discussed here:

      https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/cache-problem-on-static-site-app

      Regards,
      Bobby

      • Hi Bobby,

        Thanks for the reply, I have added the subdomain to my app and that works, thanks for this solution.

        A fix would be great, as it is for a SAAS product and not very practical to manually add each subdomain.

        Please let me know when a fix is done.

        Best regards,

        Eric