Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Cannot perform torrent scrapes?
I’m trying to make a web page to ease the process for people trying to download our linux distro (https://www.openmandriva.org/) via BitTorrent, however I am unable to perform any scrapes to get information like number of seeders and leechers so people can pick a torrent.
- I am able to access open.demonii.com on udp port 1337. I am not able to access most of the other torrent trackers in the list, which all use UDP port 80.
- I am unable to access the local machine on UDP port 1337, where a bittorrent tracker we set up just for these files runs.
- They all work fine on my local development machine.
I’m on Digital Ocean in Singapore, and I’m just wondering if there’s anything stopping Digitial Ocean Singapore VPSes from performing torrent scrapes over UDP. I have not ever made any changes to the default firewall.
Update: adding an entry in hosts file for the local tracker domain name fixed the issue with connecting to the local tracker. Adding /etc/hosts entries for other trackers did not fix the issue.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×