Question

Cloudflare 1001 error when digital ocean URL redirect is available in nslookup for domain URL

Hi, I have set up a website using a standard account and a static site. I followed the instructions to point the registrar (www) CNAME record to the digital ocean URL. A nslookup of the domain URL returns a redirect to digital ocean URL (which is accessible) but on trying to access domain URL I keep on getting Cloudflare 1001 error. This has been going on for a couple of hours. Is this a DNS propogation issue or some other problem? If a DNS propagation issue, how long will it take to resolve in Cloudflare? TIA.

Show comments

Submit an answer

This textbox defaults to using Markdown to format your answer.

You can type !ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!

Sign In or Sign Up to Answer

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

Want to learn more? Join the DigitalOcean Community!

Join our DigitalOcean community of over a million developers for free! Get help and share knowledge in Q&A, subscribe to topics of interest, and get courses and tools that will help you grow as a developer and scale your project or business.

I just had this issue and resolved it.

This was my setup and if it matches what you’re trying to achieve, consider trying the solution below.

I had my DNS nameservers pointing to and managed by digitalocean. My app requires only wildcard subdomains to point to the app platform, *.mydomain.com, and NOT the root domain mydomain.com.

I created a CNAME record that points *.mydomain.com to EXAMPLE-APP.ondigitalocean.app.

This produced the Cloudflare Error 1001 page for any subdomain I attempted to vist.

SOLUTION

I found pointing my nameservers away from DigitalOcean and to Cloudflare solved my problem. Create a free Cloudflare account, import the domains DNS records, and change the Nameservers to the ones they provide.

Make sure that the CNAME record pointing to the app platform DOES NOT have an orange cloud next to it. It needs to be DNS only.

After that verify your Cloudflare SSL settings are set to Full. I found using Full (Strict) would give me a certificate error when visiting my subdomains.

I hope this helps!