Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Confused about setting up FQDN on Ubuntu 16.04 for outgoing mail server (exim)
I’m trying to follow this tutorial on setting up exim but for Ubuntu 16.04. I’m stuck on setting up the FQDN.
If I run
hostname -f the result is
mytime4caregivers. My DNS for this server is set up to host the site at https://mytime4caregivers.com. Does that mean my FQDN should be
Here’s my setup and what I’m trying to do:
- I’m hosting a Wordpress website
- I’m using Mailgun for incoming messages
- I only want to set up outgoing mail on the server so that I can receive messages from the server and so that Wordpress can do things like send out password reset emails, etc.
- I’m using Ubuntu 16.04, nginx, and PHP7
I think I should be updating
/etc/hosts with the correct information, but I’m not sure what that should be. None of the tutorials that I’ve found seem to offer clear guidance. Thanks!
P.S. Here is my zone file per the DO DNS setup:
$ORIGIN mytime4caregivers.com. $TTL 1800 mytime4caregivers.com. IN SOA ns1.digitalocean.com. hostmaster.mytime4caregivers.com. 1474757364 10800 3600 604800 1800 mytime4caregivers.com. 1800 IN NS ns1.digitalocean.com. mytime4caregivers.com. 1800 IN NS ns2.digitalocean.com. mytime4caregivers.com. 1800 IN NS ns3.digitalocean.com. mytime4caregivers.com. 1800 IN A 126.96.36.199 email.mytime4caregivers.com. 1800 IN CNAME mailgun.org. mytime4caregivers.com. 1800 IN MX 10 mxa.mailgun.org. mytime4caregivers.com. 1800 IN MX 10 mxb.mailgun.org. mytime4caregivers.com. 1800 IN TXT v=spf1 include:mailgun.org ~all mailo._domainkey.mytime4caregivers.com. 1800 IN TXT "k=rsa; p=..." www.mytime4caregivers.com. 1800 IN A 188.8.131.52
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×