connection timeout on node.js app on Fedora


I am running my MEAN stack on a new Fedora droplet. I seem to have the same problem as described in

The interesting thing is that it was working after creating the droplet, but stopped about 24hrs after creation of the droplet.

$ node -v gives a result, ping and tracert to my IP work, curl however does not.

I tried a simple http-server ($ npm install http-server), same result (ports open, ping working): Starting up http-server, serving ./ Available on: [root@fedora-512mb-fra1-01 ~]# sudo netstat -ntlp Active Internet connections (only servers) Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name tcp 0 0* LISTEN 19235/mongod tcp 0 0* LISTEN 28920/node tcp 0 0* LISTEN 996/sshd tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::* LISTEN 996/sshd

Pinging with 32 bytes of data: Reply from bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=54 Reply from bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=54 Reply from bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=54 Reply from bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=54

curl: (7) Failed to connect to port 8080: Timed out


Submit an answer

This textbox defaults to using Markdown to format your answer.

You can type !ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!

Sign In or Sign Up to Answer

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

Want to learn more? Join the DigitalOcean Community!

Join our DigitalOcean community of over a million developers for free! Get help and share knowledge in Q&A, subscribe to topics of interest, and get courses and tools that will help you grow as a developer and scale your project or business.

ok, everything still up and running, was also able to send conf e-mails. Clearly fail2ban caused the issue.

added my stack and the DNS-settings, everything working. Possibly fail2ban was the issue, this is the only element still missing from the original configuration.

so this is what I did:

  • destroyed the old droplet
  • created a new droplet (I hope I dont get billed again ;) )
  • installed yum, git, nodejs, npm, vim
  • installed http-server ($ npm install http-server -g)
  • started server ($ http-server)
  • all good, I get a response at my remote client and the protocol at the server, naturally also curl gives a response now

I will install my stack and see how it evolves. As said the problem only occurred about 24hrs after the original droplet creation.