DigitalOcean is calculating wrong the memory graph in monitoring?

Hello, I’m trying to fully understand the way DigitalOcean is calculating memory usage.

From the docs: DigitalOcean calculates memory consumption by evaluating memory information exposed in /proc/meminfo. On DigitalOcean, used memory is calculated by subtracting free memory and memory used for caching from the total memory amount.

If I expose the numbers on my droplet:

MemTotal:        3880364 kB
MemFree:          259960 kB
MemAvailable:    2647216 kB
Buffers:               0 kB
Cached:          1432548 kB
Slab:            1457128 kB
SReclaimable:    1371832 kB

The results are 3880364 MemTotal - (259960 MemFree + 1432548 Cached) = 2187856 kB This is about 56% (the same number that is indicated on monitoring graph)

On the other side, if I compare this output with the free command:

              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        3880364      847548      297784      129948     2735032     2615692
Swap:             0           0           0

I see that the used memory is 847548 kB, so this would be around 21%. You can also figure out that the value for buff/cache in free command is different from the /proc/meminfo command Cached value.

I think that DigitalOcean needs to also add the SReclaimable value from /proc/meminfo to the sum on the cache field.

SReclaimable: The part of the Slab that might be reclaimed (such as caches)

If we sum SReclaimable and Cached values we get: 2804380 kB. That’s pretty close to the buff/cache value on the free command.

After looking at some comparison charts on the Red Hat website Interpreting /proc/meminfo and free output for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, 6 and 7 I have found the match from the free and /proc/meminfo field:

free output coresponding /proc/meminfo fields
Mem: buff/cache Buffers + Cached + Slab

In summary, do you think that DigitalOcean needs to add the SReclaimable value? And show memory usage as subtracting free memory and memory used for caching (Cached & SReclaimable) from the total memory amount?

Maybe I’m far away wrong, I’m no linux expert… What do you think?

Submit an answer

This textbox defaults to using Markdown to format your answer.

You can type !ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!

Sign In or Sign Up to Answer

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

Want to learn more? Join the DigitalOcean Community!

Join our DigitalOcean community of over a million developers for free! Get help and share knowledge in Q&A, subscribe to topics of interest, and get courses and tools that will help you grow as a developer and scale your project or business.

Hi Daniel,

This is an interesting question!

I think that this is already the case. For example, here’s my current memory usage according to the graphs:

Memory graph - 61%

It is currently at around 61.41%. It is a small Droplet and the total available RAM is 1006756KB.

So If we do 1006756KB - 61.42%, we would get about 388406KB available RAM. And then if I run the free command I get 382476 which is pretty close to the 388406KB value:

                 total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        1006756      423508       80004        9936      503244      382476

Memory Current Usage

What is the current version of your do-agent? I could suggest upgrading it to the latest version, maybe there are some improvements in how the available RAM is calculated.

Also the do-agent is open source, if you are interested you could take a look at the source code here:

If you believe that there is still something wrong with the calculation, I would suggest creating an issue in GitHub.

Regards, Bobby

Hey there @danielpcharrua! Our Engineering team has deployed changes to accommodate this and memory graphs now show (MemTotal - MemAvailable) / MemTotal. This formula is also used for memory utilization alerts. This does require your Droplet has the up-to-date agent installed (version 3.10.1+) and that your Droplet has a Linux kernel with version 3.14+

Folks, if you agree with this please upvote the idea here: