Question

DNS Not Resolving to IP

Hello, I have a Docker droplet set up with a .NET Blazor app. I can access the app through the IP address no problem.

My domain is registered through Google Domains, and three days ago I changed the DNS servers to DigitalOcean. I turned off DNSSEC, waited two days, then entered the Digital Ocean name servers. Three days later and my domain is still not resolving.

On the Digital Ocean side, I have an A record at the root which directs to my droplet IP address. I have three NS entries at the root which direct to the three Digital Ocean name servers.

nslookup mysite.com returns the IP address of my droplet. I have tried clearing the local DNS cache on both my machines.

Is there something I could be missing?

Thanks!

Subscribe
Share

Submit an answer
You can type!ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

Hi there @jghtch,

It does not sound like an issue with the DNS, as when running nslookup you get your IP address back, which means that the DNS is configured correctly.

I could suggest trying out this tool to see if you also get back the correct IP address as your A record:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tools/dns

Lately, I’ve noticed that some browsers like Chrome redirect http:// to https:// by default, and if you don’t have SSL installed on your server, the connection will time out. You could try accessing your domain via http:// directly and see if it loads.

If this is the case, I could suggest installing an SSL certificate so that your domain could work with both http:// and https://. You can use Let’s Encrypt as a free SSL certificate provider.

I hope that this helps! Regards, Bobby

Hi @bobbyiliev thanks for the reply.

I do get my IP back using the Digital Ocean DNS tool you linked.

I don’t believe I have SSL installed on my server yet, so that could be part of the problem. The site doesn’t load over http however.