Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Email forwarding off domain name leaves error "failed permanently"
I’ve done a bit of searching and I can’t quite find the answer.
My domain name is hosted by Hover and site hosted here. I’ve purchased a $5 email forwarding option through Hover that should be handling my emails to email@example.com to my personal gmail account. When I send the email, I get 2 responses –
- The email returned to me in full
- The error email, which starts with: “Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:”
I know I’ve seen multiple questions similar like this online, but most conversations go through a PM after the initial question, so I can’t find answers.
I tried pointing the MX record at Hover.com to my server, but I’m not sure what I put there is correct, and I’m just very confused. Nothing is forwarding, and I can’t have people that email that account get a bounced error message.
Thanks for any help you can give! Really want to get this sorted out this week.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×