Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Eth0 won't start up and unable to change kernel
My CentOS droplet rebooted this morning and now networking won’t start up. I get the following error:
FATAL:Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.32-358.6.2.el6.x86_64/modules.dep: No such file or directory
Sure enough, there is no /lib/modules/2.6.32-358.6.2.el6.x86_64 directory. It appears that kernel isn’t available on the server. The available kernels are:
I shut down the droplet (via “poweroff”) and went into DO’s control panel to change the kernel. I tried each of these kernels but the droplet won’t even boot up. The only way I can get it to boot up is by using my original kernel (2.6.32-358.6.2). The funny thing is – this kernel doesn’t appear in /boot/ and there isn’t a directory for it in /lib/modules/.
So I have a few questions:
- Why does it power up with 2.6.32-358.6.2 (which is not on the server)?
- Why won’t it power up with those other kernels (which are available on the server)?
- Is there some sort of log file so I can see what happens when it fails to boot up with one of the other kernels?
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×