Fifth domain on nginx redirecting to first - Hugo site - cannot generate letsencrypt certs, acme challenge failing with invalid response.
When trying to setup a new domain (domain5.com) as a Hugo site under Nginx, I’m not able to a) access the new site, b) generate certs from letsencrypt/certbot because it can’t access the .well-known/acme-challenge/ dir.
I’ve read every page I can find over the last few hours trying solutions other people have tried. None have worked. Here’s a few:
- put a location block in the config to ‘allow all’ for that directory
- double-checked all settings for domain typos, including the Hugo base-url
- created a simplified nginx .conf for the new domain, only enabling http (listen 80) and creating the location-allow block too
- created a test.txt in the dir in question, which I haven’t been able to access yet
- I am reloading the config after every change
- I’ve tried to change permissions of the acme-challenge folder to 755, and of the site root itself to the nginx user (chown www-data:www-data domain5 -R)
Every time I try to access http or https, www or non-www, domain5.com in various combinations, including with /index.html etc. I get redirected to the first domain of this droplet, the one it was initially set up for.
Not as simple an exercise as I set out to do! In theory it was just a case of copying an existing working nginx config, creating the letsencrypt certs and finalising the site. In practice… modified existing nginx config is not working like the other 2 hugo sites and letsencrypt needs to see the site to generate the first cert. Which it can’t do!
Also to note: my other letsencrypt certs are renewing fine on 2 other domains on the same VPS (one a Drupal site, the other a Hugo site), their nginx configs are working fine and are basically the same as this new one I’m trying.
Thanks for your help.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.