Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Having trouble using SSH to login as root user
Beginner here. This seems like it should be a simple fix but I’ve been wracking my brain for a couple days and can not figure out how to connect to my droplet.
OS: Windows 10
Shell: Bash (I’m on a new Windows computer but came from Mac so I downloaded bash so I can keep using UNIX commands)
Goal: I’m trying to SSH into my DO droplet
Steps I’ve taken:
1) I sudo into root user
2) checked the sshconfig file to allow root user log in
3) tried to ssh into my server with root login
4) error code:
firstname.lastname@example.org: Permission denied (publickey).
5) I’ve generated new keys (ssh key-gen) several times. Each time, I overwrite old files
6) searched local machine for ssh keys (idrsa) and nothing.
What could be the issue here? Are the keys misnamed? If I’m using bash, do I have to save the SSH keys in Ubuntu? I’m new to Microsoft, are there firewall settings that might be blocking the connection?
Any help would be very appreciated!
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×