How can I troubleshoot an nginx 404 error?
I am attempting to set up a droplet to host a few low-traffic WordPress sites. Here are my steps so far:
- Create droplet from “LEMP on 14.04” image
- Followed tutorial for Initial Server Setup
- Followed tutorial to set up Nginx server blocks
- Followed tutorial for Additional Recommended Steps
- Created a mysql database & user as described in the WordPress install tutorial
- Pushed a local WP install with Wordmove and ran through the initial install
- Pointed test domain at the server
try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php?$args;to /sites-available/example.com to enable pretty permalinks in WP
At this point, everything worked great. Next step was to point the live/real domain at this server using Cloudflare. Since the Wordmove push had worked previously, I decided to delete all the WordPress files from the server so I could update Wordmove’s Movefile with the appropriate live URLs and push again.
I also created a new file – for the new URL – in /etc/nginx/sites-available and symlinked it to /etc/nginx/sites-enabled, as I had done with the test domain. I edited this new file to work with pretty WP permalinks. I removed the file relating to the test domain. So now in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled there is only one symlinked file, and it includes the line
listen 80 default_server; I believe this is correct.
All the WP files are in the correct location and wp-config.php has the correct database details. As far as I’m concerned I should now be able to view this site at the new domain. However it returns an nginx 404 page.
I updated the DNS around 24h ago but if I ping either example.com or www.example.com it shows the correct IP address of my server. Also I used an online propagation check which reckons it’s done. I don’t think is a DNS problem.
How can I figure out why this isn’t working?