How do I connect to postgres from a client machine?
This is an extremely straightforward question. “How do I connect to Postgres DB installed on a digitalocean droplet, from an external client via command-line or via third party apps like PSequel (available for MacOS) or PGAdmin?”. I am surprised that there is no direct tutorial to explain this in plain simple words. Here is what I did so far:
- Created a brand new spick and span droplet running Ubuntu 16.04.
- Installed postgres following this tutorial - https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-use-postgresql-on-ubuntu-16-04
- Now I have Ubuntu user “sammy”, postgres user “sammy” and postgres database “sammy”. I am happily able to connect to DB from within the box.
- All that is required now is to connect to this database, from external machine, which for some reason is a herculean task.
- I followed https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/remote-connect-to-postgresql-with-pgadmin and https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/how-to-connect-remotely-to-the-postgres-db-on-the-server-from-the-local-client-machine and https://askubuntu.com/questions/423165/remotely-access-postgresql-database. I changed my
host all all 0.0.0.0/0 md5and in
- Restarted postgres on remote server via
sudo service postgresql restart
- [On my local Mac laptop]
psql -h <IPv4 address> -p 5432 -U sammy -d sammy. However I get the error
psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "sammy"
How do I connect to postgres server? I would highly recommend digitalocean’s moderators to write a detailed but simple blog on “Connecting to Postgres from external client, along with best practises.”
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×