Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
How do you "move" a droplet that acts as a mail server?
Currently I have one large droplet that serves several domains and also acts as a mail server. I want to take advantage of the new DI pricing and run several droplets instead of the one large one. (Basically I want one mail droplet and two “site” droplets, one live and one for testing.)
My only worry in doing this is that my current large droplet also acts as a mail server. What I’m worried about is if I do the following…
- Take an image of existing large droplet, let’s call it droplet.info
- From the above image, create newdroplet.info,
- Destroy droplet.info.
- Rename newdroplet.info to droplet.info
…will this lose the current reverse DNS lookup or will it stay the same? (DI assigns this based on the droplet name.)
If I will lose the existing reverse DNS, does that mean I also lose the credibility/reputation my mail server currently has built up? It took ages to get it working and so I’m a bit scared to do the above.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×