Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
How do you point a subdomain to DigitalOcean without using or the original domain or changing nameservers?
I am using namecheap as my domain registrar for a domain, say example.com. Because of the way I have things set up and example.com pointing somewhere else, I cannot change the nameservers or use example.com and therefore want to use a subdomain, say ocean.example.com, to point to a Ubuntu 16.04 droplet with an example IP of 220.127.116.11
Based on what I have been reading, I believe it is possible to point to subdomains without changing the nameservers of example.com on namecheap, but whatever I try does not seem to work.
My questions are:
- What exactly do I need to do to the DNS settings on namecheap?
- Is example.com OR is ocean.example.com my domain that I create under DigitalOcean?
- What exactly do I need to do for the DNS configuration on DigitalOcean?
Thank you all for any help!!! :)
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×