How to correctly configure Postfix to route emails to aliases?
For the most part, I have successfully configured Postfix to send emails. Emails sent to outside domains, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org, are delivered fine. The problem I'm having is when I send emails from my website's contact form, via the PHP mail() function, to my domain's own email addresses.
Here are the problems I'm experiencing:
- Emails sent to my user name, e.g. email@example.com go to /var/mail/myname but are not sent to the Google Apps account that my MX records point to. They also have the return path header overwritten to be firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Emails sent to aliases, e.g. email@example.com, are sent to /var/mail/myname with a message: Action: failed, Status: 5.1.1, Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; unknown user: "support". The error message shows that the return path header has been overwritten, but in this case to
- All the emails have the return path header information overwritten. In the php mail() function, the return path is set to firstname.lastname@example.org but is changed to email@example.com in the emails that result in an error and firstname.lastname@example.org in the emails that get successfully delivered.
- myorigin = mydomain.com
- mydestination = mydomain.com, localhost.mydomain.com, , localhost
- email@example.com myname
- firstname.lastname@example.org myname
- email@example.com myname
- firstname.lastname@example.org myname
I ran postmap on /etc/postfix/virtual and /etc/init.d/postfix reload before attempting the send the emails.