Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
How to decide on the most appropriate hosting solution for my freelancing needs
I have spent the better part of a week tumbling down the rabbit hole that is modern Wordpress hosting solutions. I am in the process of setting up a freelance web business, starting off with basic Wordpress website development and management and have made it to the point of having to decide on using a managed Wordpress host (SiteGround) or go the VPS route for hosting client websites.
Going the VPS route and using DO seems like the all-round best solution, but I have read enough opinion pieces on server and Wordpress maintenance to scare me right on back to a managed hosting solution.
I am by no means an experienced sysadmin (but am willing to learn). What I am unsure of in point form is:
- What exactly is involved with ongoing server/cms maintenance. Security, Firewall, Backups, Software updates (Server and CMS)
- What tools, if any, can help with ongoing maintenance? e.g. ServerPilot? CloudFlare? Cloudways?
- The best solution for client emails (G Suite?)
- If using DO, which setup is most appropriate i.e. Droplet per website or several sites per (larger) Droplet?
- Not specifically related to my initial questions, but how do other freelancers handle client billing from a hosting perspective?
So finally, for someone trying to do what I am doing, with my level of experience, what is the most appropriate hosting solution?
Thank you in advance for any insight on this :)
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×