Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
How To Edit WordPress Themes and Code
Just joined Digital Ocean and I want to install Ubuntu and follow this tutorial: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-multiple-wordpress-sites-on-a-single-ubuntu-vps
(which I will use the newest version)
My question is:
1. After installing everything and getting WordPress set up, can I access the multiple websites and the Ubuntu server from any computer or do I have to work on the computer that I installed Ubuntu and WordPress?
2. Once I have WordPress installed and am working on a theme, do I have to edit the coding files from my computer (where I installed WordPress) and then upload them via FileZilla (or other), or can I edit the WordPress code files after uploading? I just want to know if I can use any computer.
I found this from https://kinsta.com/blog/how-to-customize-wordpress-theme/:
“If you’re editing your own theme, which is specific to your site and was developed especially for it, then you can make edits to the theme directly. But if you’re working with a third-party theme and want to edit that, you should create a child theme to avoid losing your changes next time you update the theme.”
** 3.** What does it mean by ‘editing your own theme’?
Sorry, many questions.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×