Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
How to install Wordpress on Ubuntu 16.04 for Wordpress to Act as a Website
I’ve tried to load Wordpress on Ubuntu 16.04 about 15 times. I’ve tried a variety of instructions to do this but I haven’t gotten it to work. I’ve also reloaded the OS to make sure that I have a clean copy each time I try a new set of instructions.
Apparently there are two ways to load Wordpress.
- Install Wordpress with apt get which installs it as an application.
- Download Wordpress and extract the files. Copy them to the /var/www/html directory.
I make changes to the apache2.conf as per instructions, setup a database for Wordpress with username, password etc. I then copy the Wordpress files into /var/www/html. Instead of getting the Wordpress website, I continue to get the apache website.
Does anyone have a complete, step by step instuctions to install Wordpress on Ubuntu 16.04 so that Wordpress works as a web site?
I’ve installed an older version on Ubuntu 12.01 before which worked so I believe I know the basics.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×