How to set up environment variables on Ubuntu 14, Nginx, Capistrano and Rails?
this is driving me crazy for a few days now and I can't figure out how to solve this. I am new to this so it might just be something very simple.
I set up my VPS hosting on Ubuntu 14.04 using Digital Ocean to deploy my Rails 4 app to a production environment. I deployed my app using Capistrano and Nginx by following this tutorial https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/deploying-a-rails-app-on-ubuntu-14-04-with-capistrano-nginx-and-puma
The only problem that I currently have is that my environment variables are not loaded by my app. Or at least, when I try to subscribe to my newsletter, it tells me that a valid api key is required.
What I did so far:
- Installed rbenv-var as instructed in the documentation.
- Created a .rbenv-var file in my /appname/current folder
- When I run rbenv vars, everything looks OK
- ran source ~/.bash_profile (found this somewhere that could solve the problem, but it didnt)
- Tried "spring stop" as indicated somewhere but didn't work either. Spring was not installed
- I also tried adding my variables to my ~/.bashrc file, that didn't work either
- Tried adding them to my ~/.bashprofile file, ran source ~/.bashprofile but that didn't work either.
This is my bash_profile file:
[[ -s "$HOME/.profile" ]] && source "$HOME/.profile" # Load the default .profile [[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && source "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" # Load RVM$ export PATH="$HOME/.rbenv/bin:$PATH" eval "$(rbenv init -)" export PATH="$HOME/.rbenv/plugins/ruby-build/bin:$PATH" export MAILCHIMP_API_KEY="somenumber" export MAILCHIMP_LIST_ID="somenumber"
Happy to add any extra code if required.
Thanks a lot!