How to setup a PTR record?
I have a contact form on my website (hosted with Digital Ocean). The contact form sends form submissions to my Google G-Suite email address. Unfortunately emails are being marked as spam.
- I'm managing my DNS with hover.com.
- I've added
DKIMtxt records but emails from the form still end up in my spam folder.
- I'm using serverpilot.io to manage my Digital Ocean server
Where I'm up to
- After a bit of digging around the Digital Ocean forum I found out about the
- I also discovered mxtoolbox.com, this highlighted another issue that is most likely causing problems with spam
- mxtoolbox.com, shows I'm also missing a
- I'll create a separate post about setting up a
Have I correctly setup my PTR record? This is what I've done:
- I found this ServerPilot guide How to Set PTR Records and Reverse DNS
- According to the guide:
DigitalOcean will set a PTR record for your server as long as you use a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) like pluto.example.com rather than a single-label hostname like pluto.
- For this example my domain is
- I used
digitalocean.mywebsite.co.ukto name my
- I logged into Terminal and ran
- It shows the
domain name pointeris now the same as my droplet name
xx.xx.xxx.xx.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer digitalocean.mywebsite.co.uk.
- The changes appear to be almost instant on the Digital Ocean droplet
- Testing this in mxtoolbox.com still shows errors, but from reading other posts I need to wait at least 24 hours for these changes to propagate.
- Have I done this right?
- Are there any other steps I should take related to
I've not waited 24 hours for the changes to take affect, but it looks like they have partly worked...
I've ran a test submission from my contact form on my website, emails are still going to spam. But I thought I'd take a look at the email header to see if I can spot any mention to the updated
domain name pointer
It looks like Google Mail can see the update,
digitalocean.mywebsite.co.uk. is in the header...
This bit looks like it could be wrong:
Received: from my-company-website.localdomain.example.com (digitalocean.mywebsite.co.uk. [xx.xxx.xx.xx])
It still says
Received: from my-company-website. That was the original name of my
Is that supposed to still say that?
Here's the full header, I've redacted any IP addresses.
Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org Received: by 10.79.31.67 with SMTP id f64csp2990959ivf; Thu, 2 Feb 2017 03:50:54 -0800 (PST) X-Received: by 10.28.45.197 with SMTP id t188mr7968770wmt.15.1486036253973; Thu, 02 Feb 2017 03:50:53 -0800 (PST) Return-Path: <email@example.com> Received: from my-company-website.localdomain.example.com (digitalocean.mywebsite.co.uk. [xx.xxx.xx.xx]) by mx.google.com with ESMTP id xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for <firstname.lastname@example.org>; Thu, 02 Feb 2017 03:50:53 -0800 (PST) Received-SPF: softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning email@example.com does not designate xx.xxx.xx.xx as permitted sender) client-ip=xx.xxx.xx.xx; Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning firstname.lastname@example.org does not designate xx.xxx.xx.xx as permitted sender) email@example.com Received: by my-company-website.localdomain (Postfix, from userid 1000) id 0CD8E40899; Thu, 2 Feb 2017 11:50:53 +0000 (UTC) To: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: Paul - Enquiry Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 11:50:52 +0000 From: Company Name <email@example.com> Reply-To: firstname.lastname@example.org Message-ID: <email@example.com> X-Mailer: PHPMailer 5.2.21 (https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer) MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8 Name: Paul Test Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Message: This is a test