Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Is Digital Ocean still compatible with Virtualmin?
I tried to use Virtualmin to set up a new Ubuntu 16.04 droplet. It was a nightmare. I got the following errors after the installation of Virtualmin:
- first php files were not recognized as such and downloaded instead. I managed to find a solution for that on the internet where I had to delete the text “phpadminvalue engine Off” in a mydomain.com.conf file.
- next I found that I couldn’t set the password in Virtualmin. I had to directly to the Mysql command line.
- finally I found serious problems uploading sql files that I had exported with phpmyadmin. Somehow escaped single quotes in the file crashed the upload. And when I tried to fix these I got a 500 error with in the log file “too many redirects” errors.
It looks like things are getting worse over time:
- have a DO Ubuntu 14.04 installation with PHP 5 that doesn’t give problems
- I have a two and a half year old DO Ubuntu 16.04 installation with PHP 7.0 installation that only gives problems when I try to import large databases
- when I now try to set up something with DO Ubuntu 16.04 I start with the downloading php files.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×