Is it possible to take a snapshot of a volume, destroy the volume, then restore it from the snapshot?
With a droplet, I know I can do the following if I’m not going to use the droplet for a long time:
- take a snapshot of the droplet
- destroy the droplet but keep the snapshot, for a fraction of the price per month compared to keeping the droplet itself “alive”
- later restore the droplet from the snapshot
Can I do the same with a VOLUME?
- is it possible to take snapshots of a volume at all?
- is it possible to keep a snapshot after the volume from which I took it is destroyed?
- is the price per month of keeping a snapshot much lower than the price of keeping the volume active? (otherwise the whole thing wouldn’t make sense)
- is it possible to restore a volume from a snapshot? Well I guess if all the above are yes, then this must be a yes too because what would be a snapshot for if you couldn’t restore a volume from it, right? But is it possible after having destroyed the original volume and kept only the snapshot?
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×