Is it possible to take a snapshot of a volume, destroy the volume, then restore it from the snapshot?
With a droplet, I know I can do the following if I’m not going to use the droplet for a long time:
- take a snapshot of the droplet
- destroy the droplet but keep the snapshot, for a fraction of the price per month compared to keeping the droplet itself “alive”
- later restore the droplet from the snapshot
Can I do the same with a VOLUME?
- is it possible to take snapshots of a volume at all?
- is it possible to keep a snapshot after the volume from which I took it is destroyed?
- is the price per month of keeping a snapshot much lower than the price of keeping the volume active? (otherwise the whole thing wouldn’t make sense)
- is it possible to restore a volume from a snapshot? Well I guess if all the above are yes, then this must be a yes too because what would be a snapshot for if you couldn’t restore a volume from it, right? But is it possible after having destroyed the original volume and kept only the snapshot?