Looking to Set up VPS – New to this
Having my fair share with shared web hosting, I think it is time for me to learn how this all works.
I am looking to host about 4 sites [3 WordPress (1 WooCommerce) + 1 Ghost Blog].
After some fair amount of research, I feel that there’s enough material online to set them up. As none of the guides online have anything quite specific to my situation, I still have a couple of questions.
Currently looking at DO 1GB. Expecting low-mid volume of traffic – ~50-400 monthly visitors on each site and roughly 500 daily visitors on eCommerce site. At best estimate.
- Is it even possible to host them all on one droplet in the first place?
- Should I set up with LEMP first? Then install WordPress + Ghost? (If what I read is right, too many visitors and an Apache server don’t usually play nice)
- If there are multiple sites hosted on a droplet, how should I point the DNS servers to the right site?
- Would the installation of a GUI [manager] like Webmin help me out with setup/config?
- As there’s an eCommerce site, security is paramount. What should I look out for when setting up. (I feel like this is a broad question, from actual settings to philosophical practice, throw a couple of updated guides in my way and I would be set)
- Is the DO 1GB sufficient for my needs?
- Which Linux distro should I go for? (Or they really are the same and I'll just follow whichever the guide presents)
Now I would like to point out that I usually do the web design portion. Till that end, I’m not shy from the command line, and getting my hands dirty.
I still have some time before the eCommerce site becomes a production site and would love to take this time to get things right first.
Would love advice, (updated) guides, assistance and just general guidance.
Thank you, appreciate it.