Looking to Set up VPS – New to this
Having my fair share with shared web hosting, I think it is time for me to learn how this all works.
I am looking to host about 4 sites [3 WordPress (1 WooCommerce) + 1 Ghost Blog].
After some fair amount of research, I feel that there’s enough material online to set them up. As none of the guides online have anything quite specific to my situation, I still have a couple of questions.
Currently looking at DO 1GB. Expecting low-mid volume of traffic – ~50-400 monthly visitors on each site and roughly 500 daily visitors on eCommerce site. At best estimate.
- Is it even possible to host them all on one droplet in the first place?
- Should I set up with LEMP first? Then install WordPress + Ghost? (If what I read is right, too many visitors and an Apache server don’t usually play nice)
- If there are multiple sites hosted on a droplet, how should I point the DNS servers to the right site?
- Would the installation of a GUI [manager] like Webmin help me out with setup/config?
- As there’s an eCommerce site, security is paramount. What should I look out for when setting up. (I feel like this is a broad question, from actual settings to philosophical practice, throw a couple of updated guides in my way and I would be set)
- Is the DO 1GB sufficient for my needs?
- Which Linux distro should I go for? (Or they really are the same and I’ll just follow whichever the guide presents)
Now I would like to point out that I usually do the web design portion. Till that end, I’m not shy from the command line, and getting my hands dirty.
I still have some time before the eCommerce site becomes a production site and would love to take this time to get things right first.
Would love advice, (updated) guides, assistance and just general guidance.
Thank you, appreciate it.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×