Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Lost access to sites/servers and known good backups won't boot...
I am unable to access some of my servers/sites.
When I restore from a known good backup to the existing droplet or new droplets, I see the same error/warning:
DIGITALOCEAN Droplet Recovery System [17.10.1 (Artful Albacore)]
This system was placed into recovery mode by DigitalOcean support
or because the droplet cannot boot due a missing kernel.
- Network access and SSH have been enabled automatically *
- SSH Host keys will NOT match while using this rescue system *
Root Password has been randomly set to: 7459-bc92-d2c4-1056
You are strongly encouraged to use SSH keys.
Select One of the options below:
- Check Filesystem
- Reset Droplet Root Password
- Configure Keyboard
- Attempt to ‘chroot’ into installed system
- Interactive Shell [/bin/bash]
- Install a DigitalOcean provided Ubuntu 16.04 LTS kernel
- Install/update kernel on disk
Choose (1-7) and press Enter to continue.
I attempted to restore several times using snapshots that have previously worked.
The IP refuses an SSH connection so I used the console and observed a red “fail” message briefly displayed on the screen followed by the message posted above.
I tried the following options with no success at restoring normal use and access.
- Check Filesystem - passes
- I am able to chroot into the system and see no issues.
- Install a DigitalOcean provided Ubuntu 16.04 LTS kernel does not solve it
- Updating the Kernel does not work.
Why am I unable to use my legacy servers as they were configured?
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×