Lost access to sites/servers and known good backups won't boot...
I am unable to access some of my servers/sites.
When I restore from a known good backup to the existing droplet or new droplets, I see the same error/warning:
DIGITALOCEAN Droplet Recovery System [17.10.1 (Artful Albacore)]
This system was placed into recovery mode by DigitalOcean support
or because the droplet cannot boot due a missing kernel.
- Network access and SSH have been enabled automatically *
- SSH Host keys will NOT match while using this rescue system *
Root Password has been randomly set to: 7459-bc92-d2c4-1056
You are strongly encouraged to use SSH keys.
Select One of the options below:
- Check Filesystem
- Reset Droplet Root Password
- Configure Keyboard
- Attempt to 'chroot' into installed system
- Interactive Shell [/bin/bash]
- Install a DigitalOcean provided Ubuntu 16.04 LTS kernel
- Install/update kernel on disk
Choose (1-7) and press Enter to continue.
I attempted to restore several times using snapshots that have previously worked.
The IP refuses an SSH connection so I used the console and observed a red "fail" message briefly displayed on the screen followed by the message posted above.
I tried the following options with no success at restoring normal use and access.
- Check Filesystem - passes
- I am able to chroot into the system and see no issues.
- Install a DigitalOcean provided Ubuntu 16.04 LTS kernel does not solve it
- Updating the Kernel does not work.
Why am I unable to use my legacy servers as they were configured?