first of all, allow me to clarify that I am so confused about setting up mail server. other than I want it to work correctly, I really wish to understand how things work here!
my situation is:
I have a website, the website send emails to users on signup. my website works locally perfectly, now am transforming it online.. and here where everything gets confusing!
from my little experience and knowledge about servers, I believe I need to set up the following into my Ubuntu 14.04 server :
- mail server
these should all be configured for the web server. all in one server (droplet)
what I did configure for mail server are:
- configured DNS (mail 50)
- configured IPtables to allow traffic on smtp port
and It did not work, I cant send or receive emails (i get reports of un-deliverable emails)
- What I do really need to install/configure in order to run mail server?
- What does it mean to add "MX 50", and A record "mail" to DNS?
- Do I need to configure FQDN? how? what is the hostnames I should use?
- if we say mail.domain.com, doesn't that mean there is hostname "mail" inside domain.com? but my hostname is not called mail? do I have to create separate droplet with "mail" hostname?
- do I need POP3?
sorry for long talk, as you can see am so confused and in desperate help :)
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart.
If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.