Migration to Digital Ocean & DNS
I am looking for some advice around the best way to achieve the following, essentially i currently run 3 wordpress websites all hosted on 3 different shared hosting accounts. Lets call them r2d2.com, C3P0.com & BB8.com i want to consolidate these down and move over to a VPS on DO. I do however need to minimise any downtime and would like to take the opportunity of the move to do some testing on new features in advance. This is my plan so far"
- Build a new droplet based on Ubuntu 16.04, secure it and then install a LEMP stack. Add on a management platform (VirtualMin or ServerPilot).
- Deploy 3 new virtual sites on the server (testing.r2d2.com, testing.c3po.com & testing.bb8.com). At this point i will add NS Record with my naming provider to point these subdomains to the DO name servers. 3.Clone the live sites and deploy to the DO droplet, Make and test any changes.
- When Ready clone to testing sites to 3 new sites in the DO droplet using the original names.
- Create a records on my dns to point r2d2.com, C3P0.com and BB8.com to my droplet.
Hopefully the above makes sense, i have three questions though.
- Will the above work, the bit i am really unsure about is the DNS? 2.What size of Droplet will i need to achieve this(I appreciate this will only be rough estimates without the full details of the sites) 3.Which management platform do people recommend, i do have a long term view of potentially hosting other peoples sites in DO.
Thanks in advance for the help.