More WordPress permalink tomfoolery - this time on a https install:(
I have a Wordpress site running on Ubuntu 16.04 installed using Digital Oceans wonderful 1-click install - I even have multiple domains redirecting to one primary parent domain! Not bad for a rookie! I then got some confidence and upgraded my site to https using LetsEncrypt also thanks to the useful guides available from DO. Rookie confidence increasing!
Yesterday I purchased a premium theme, installed it and moved the permalink structure to ‘post name’ and all hell broke lose as any permalinks on the homepage to my site no longer work (they now get a The requested URL <subURL> was not found on this server.).
I recognize this is something this is something that catches out a number of people so have tried various DO articles on the matter to no avail. Fixes attempted include:
- updating permissions of the main .htaccess from 664 to 666 using chmod.
- making sure is a2enmod is running using: a2enmod rewrite - it is.
- Updating /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf to AllowOverride (it now has the following in it:
<Directory /var/www/html/> Options FollowSymLinks AllowOverride All Order allow,deny allow from all Require all granted </Directory>
- Updating /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/default-ssl.conf to AllowOverride - if I try and put the same text as added in 000-default.conf the site failts to load and delivers an 'ERR TOO MANY REDIRECTS’ message.
- Updating /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/apache2.conf to AllowOverride - as soon as I restart Apache2, the site fails to load and delivers an 'ERR TOO MANY REDIRECTS’ message.
Rookie confidence draining, any expertise thrown my way would be much-appreciated Team DO:) The most re-booted site in the world today is available at www.wealth-hack.com……
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×