Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Moved Domain Name from blogger to wordpress. Getting 404 error
Hi. I moved my site from blogger to wordpress and just moved the domain earlier today. I’ve been getting trouble since I’ve move the domain name to DO. The site works and goes down intermittently. The site gives an 404 error for an hour or so and then randomly works alright again and then again shows a 404 error without me touching anything anywhere, which is quite weird. This happened 2-3 times and now the site is down since over 12 hours. I have used DO + namesilo before and never faced such an issue.
Got a reply from the support team after 7-8hours! saying
[This appears to be directly impacted by the application your web server is trying to serve. We have a community article that can help provide guidance on general web server troubleshooting:
How a simple addition of a domain name to a working droplet can cause such a big issue is beyond me. Anyways going through that guide.
- Check the Logs
[My error.log file in apache
[Sat Oct 20 06:25:03.254865 2018] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 19446] AH00163: Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu) configured – resuming normal operations
[Sat Oct 20 06:25:03.254898 2018] [core:notice] [pid 19446] AH00094: Command line: ’/usr/sbin/apache2’
[Sat Oct 20 06:31:28.231070 2018] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 19446] AH00169: caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Sat Oct 20 06:31:28.428436 2018] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 8334] AH00163: Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu) configured – resuming normal operations
[Sat Oct 20 06:31:28.428512 2018] [core:notice] [pid 8334] AH00094: Command line: ’/usr/sbin/apache2’
[Sat Oct 20 06:32:19.729556 2018] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 8334] AH00169: caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Sat Oct 20 06:32:19.865461 2018] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 8379] AH00163: Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu) configured – resuming normal operations
[Sat Oct 20 06:32:19.865536 2018] [core:notice] [pid 8379] AH00094: Command line: ’/usr/sbin/apache2’
- Is your Web Server Installed?
Yep? I used the one click wordpress installation
- Is your Web Server Running? sudo netstat -plunt | grep apache2
- Is the Syntax of your Web Server Configuration File Correct? apache2ctl configtest
- Are the Ports you Configured Open? sudo nc -z 220.127.116.11 80
- Are your DNS Settings Directing you to the Correct Place? host -t A example.com
- Make sure your Configuration Files Also Handle your Domain Correctly
Done. Added servername and serveralias. restarted apache. still getting the error.
- Does the Document Root Point to the Location of your Files?
- Is your Web Server Serving the Correct Index Files?
Added the below code and restarted no change
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
- Are the Permissions and Ownership Set Correctly?
Did not mess around with this. Would want to be messing up file permissions.
- Are you Restricting Access through your Configuration Files?
Looks all good here.
- If you have a Database Backend, is it Running? sudo netstat -plunt | grep mysql
- If you have a Database Backend, can your Site Connect Successfully? / Is your Web Server Configured to Pass Dynamic Content to a Script Processor?
come on. i’ve added a domain before to a droplet. it took minutes. If a DO technician could just look under the hood as to what the problem is, my site wouldnt be down for so long. It’s been down for nearly 18 hours now. Can someone help me out with this?
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×