Private IP in between Server?

February 6, 2013 11k views
Love to setup App Server + Database Server on sperate VPS instance, questions 1. Possible to setup communication via Private IP? 2. If yes, does the data transfer between server consume our allocated bandwidth?
24 Answers
Currently we do not provide private IPs but using the public IPs of your servers you will still be traversing the local network so you will have sub <1 ms latency.

Currently the bandwidth would be counted since you are using public interfaces but we haven't finished our bandwidth accounting so you would not incur any charges for using the public IPs of the servers to communicate.
There are plans to implement a private network between servers, for not using public traffic? I am very interested in that functionality as I'm working on software that uses multiple servers.
Hi Raiyu

Yes, this is IMHO very important features.. Love all the features by DigitalOceans, the only things stopping me to move my Production Servers from Linode is private IP and Server statistic Report..
This is a very important issue. When will you begin 'bandwidth accounting'? Will you resolve internal vs. external communication before then? Considering the fact you even have beginner how to pages on nginx load balancing, I think you realize its an expected use case. How can I deploy with this huge gaping hole in logic and never knowing when the other shoe (bandwidth accounting) will fall? I really appreciate any answer. Thanks.
+1 for this feature, definitely important for communication between servers.
+1 for this feature as well. Evaluating moving some servers to Digital Ocean
There's no other shoe to fall, there will be no charges for bandwidth until we've implemented private networking in each of our regions and clarified all terms.
If you would like to setup private IPs between droplets, you can also setup a VPN:
by Bulat Khamitov
A Point-To-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) allows you to implement your own VPN very quickly, and is compatible with most mobile devices. Even though PPTP is less secure than OpenVPN, it is faster and uses less CPU resources.
Out of the box, a droplet should have 1 public IP address mapped to "eth0" and 1 private IP address mapped to "eth1" and both configure with Static DHCP for ultimate connivence. This way coping and moving droplets and starting them as a new servers would be very easy. If done so, that would satisfy the needs of 95% of the users. The other 5% have the technical means and resources to take care of their needs.

Linode has problems with eth1, so they ask people to create virtual interfaces eth0:0, eth0:1 for their additional IP addresses. With that setup, you must first mouth an backup on an existing node as a device, change your IP info, then unmount and deploy as a new server. That is not the right way of doing it.

Slicehost on the other hand, had this right from the get-go.

I am hoping that Digital Ocean follows the SliceHost Model and out of the box configures 1 public IP on eth0 and 1 private IP on eth1.

Fundamental for Master-Slave replication and multiple server scaling.
Cant emphasise this enough. Its a basic feature. you guys rock but you need this to rock more.
Is there a date when we can expect this feature to be available? Currently when i ping one server from another i get a 75ms response.
You can follow the progress on this feature on uservoice:
big +1!!! I could really use this.
+ 1 for private IP's and even having the option of locking servers off from public IP access That would help me out a lot.
This is a fairly major blocker for me. I'd like private IP addresses for communication between droplets. Free bandwidth between servers would be nice too.
I'm planning to move all my services here but private ip and subnets is blocking me... I can't imagine doing what I need setting up openvpn on all the servers... thats a joke!

Please guys, I don't think this feature to be hard for you.
We have an internal private networking beta and will have it released soon.
Have another answer? Share your knowledge.