Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Question About Domain Name Hijacking Vulnerability
What stops me from:
- Running whois on a list of domain names
- Saving those that point to Digital Ocean name servers ex: Name Server: NS1.DIGITALOCEAN.COM Name Server: NS2.DIGITALOCEAN.COM Name Server: NS3.DIGITALOCEAN.COM
- Setting up A name entries for all of them on a digital ocean account
If any of them have accounts that have lapsed (or otherwise just haven’t been set up yet) on Digital Ocean they will now point to my server.
This seems like a super easy (and fun!) way to hijack domain names.
in fact, I think this just recently happened to a domain name of mine (not really an issue, but made me wonder how this is possible).
how do i protect against this?
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×