Easily configure a performant, secure, and stable NGINX server.Learn More
Server unreachable without using VPN, sometimes (This site can't be reached)
I’m really at the end of my rope here. The issue started when my domain expired a few days ago. I renewed the domain yesterday and the issues are just not stopping.
I know this sounds stupid. But I have 2 separate DigitalOcean droplets, and both will randomly just stop connecting for random people. One of them just serves a static website of html/js/css files, and one is a node.js app with a reverse proxy.
Both have worked fine for months, with no changes, until my domain lapsed. I’ve renewed my Lets Encrypt Certbot SSL certs for both servers as well, and nothing else has changed.
I can connect to both via a VPN in my same country. Also other people can connect in my country. However many people can not connect in the USA (who were able to before).
Things I’ve tried:
- I thought it was a caching issue on the server so I deleted the nginx cache folder
- I thought it was a caching issue on the browser so I tried different browsers
- I thought it was an issue with the device so I tried different devices
- I thought it was an issue with the UFW firewall so I disabled it on both servers
- I thought maybe fail2ban had banned me and select other people so I disabled it
I have NO IDEA what else it could be, but I run an app and am getting angry emails and refund requests!
I can not access either one of these sites without using a VPN, nor can most of my customers. The requests do not even show up in the access.log or error.log, they just simply do not get sent to the server at all. If I use a VPN, then no problem. What is going on??
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×