Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Setting up DNS / Nameservers Novice Questions
I’ve been playing with setting up test sites since yesterday and I finally got it to work today but I don’t know if I fully understand everything so if someone could answer some noob questions I’d be grateful.
I’m using CentOS and VistaCP as a panel. My name registrar is Hover.
1) I set the name servers on Hover to ns1.digitalocean.com ns2.digitalocean.com and then I went to networking on DO and added a domain – that seems to work – is that all I need to do? Also is that the best way to set things up?
2) When installing VistaCP every tutorial says to change the name servers to ns1.mysitename.com ns2.mysitename.com but after doing that I never used that anywhere in any of the configurations that worked – what is this for?
3) Hover allows people to set up A records. My first failed attempts I was trying to set the @ A and * A record to the public IP of the droplet – that didn’t seem to work. Should this be left as default or should I change it to the public IP of the droplet?
4) Hover has something called Glue Records which allow you to create name servers based on your domain and associate them to an IP. In another failed attempt I figured this would be where the nsx.mysitename.com entries would go – should I be entering these here?
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×