Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Setup domain from different provider
Hello, I have developed a website working in development mode with my IP. It is running with Nginx.
This is for a client who has his domain name (example.com) registered in a different hosting provider. This provider agreed to redirect example.com to our IP. They told us that it was enough if we give them the IP to make the redirection.
That provider already made the redirection, but I am not sure if this is a simple redirect, because when I enter example.com in the browser, it redirects to the url IP. From my point of view, I expected example.com to persist in browser instead of changing.
I’m not very experienced setting up domains from other providers, that’s why I have the following questions:
1) Do I have to setup something in DigitalOcean’s panel?
2) Do I have to setup something in Nginx conf file different than server_name?
3) Is it possible that the provider with simply my IP redirect to my IP but persisting example.com in browser?
What I tried first was to setup nginx.conf file with server_name example.com, but the application crashed. For that I removed server name.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×