Join 1M+ other developers and:
- Get help and share knowledge in Q&A
- Subscribe to topics of interest
- Get courses & tools that help you grow as a developer or small business owner
Should I use Nginx or Apache for my Wordpress Install?
tl;dr - Nginx or Apache for WP install, and WHY?
Which of these web server options are the best option for installing and sustaining a Wordpress instance? After reading dozens of articles and forum posts I’m leaning towards Nginx, but there may be some drawbacks as mentioned by @jsamuel, in [this discussion response](https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/why-is-apache-used-over-nginx-for-wordpress-one-click?
“It is possible to host WordPress using only Nginx without Apache at all, but because WordPress won’t be able to use .htaccess files (.htaccess files are an Apache feature, they don’t exist in Nginx), you’ll need to regularly be reconfiguring Nginx for various WordPress plugins. You should only take that approach if you’re comfortable with the command line and server administration."answer=31242/)
- How To Install WordPress with LEMP on Ubuntu 18.04 - NGINX
- How To Install WordPress with LAMP on Ubuntu 18.04 - APACHE
- How To Use the WordPress One-Click Install on DigitalOcean - uses Apache
Is the ability to use .htaccess files still a concern if one was to use Nginx? Any clarification on this would be so helpful.
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.×