Simple SPDY implementation not working


Wonder if you could help - I’m having an issue where the instructions to just ‘flip the spdy switch’ aren’t working for me.

Here’s the setup:

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Nginx 1.7.12 (upgraded today from Ubuntu mainline/dev PPA - includes ssl modules) OpenSSL 1.0.1 (build from 19/03/15 - upgraded today) Have restarted Dovecot/Postfix/PHP5-FPM/Monit and of course Nginx. is showing no spdy due to no NPN (but this version of openssl supports it, checked changelog), the Chrome/FF extensions also reporting no spdy. SSL Labs are reporting ‘No’ for NPN.

Also trying to get HSTS working with no joy either. Using the line below.

Where am I going wrong?

I have included the following in the sites-enabled host file, for the https server block:

listen 443 ssl spdy default_server;

[server_name, limit_con, log, keepalive_timeout, ssl certs…]

add_header Strict-Transport-Security “max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains”; add_header Alternate-Protocol 443:npn-spdy/3; I’m seeing nothing about the latter two headers in the Network section of the Chrome/FF [F12] profilers.


– This is a a new thread based on comment here

Submit an answer

This textbox defaults to using Markdown to format your answer.

You can type !ref in this text area to quickly search our full set of tutorials, documentation & marketplace offerings and insert the link!

Sign In or Sign Up to Answer

These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.

Want to learn more? Join the DigitalOcean Community!

Join our DigitalOcean community of over a million developers for free! Get help and share knowledge in Q&A, subscribe to topics of interest, and get courses and tools that will help you grow as a developer and scale your project or business.


Fixed / resolved / working - rebooting the server fixed it. Restarting each service individually didn’t work. I might have missed one, despite restarting mysql, ssh, nginx etc. etc.

Now HSTS etc. all working too. No idea why they wouldn’t work previously.

For info, this is the version of openssl being used:

Thanks for sharing that, @jtittle - I took the parts I didn’t have yet (stapling, the ‘ssl on’ line) and re-ordered the headers so that the Alternate-Protocol came before the STS line. Nothing changed. It’s still not being read by nginx.

Something in my config is either overriding it or getting there first.

SSL Labs still reporting no HSTS, no stapling, no NPN (thus, no spdy!).

Error logs only showing some md5 cache collisions - will keep looking.