SSH authentication failures: Server refused our key
I have set up public key authentication before and never had this much trouble.. I am not sure what I am missing, but I have done all of the following:
- Ensured the private and public key match (they were created by puttygen, and i use the same key for github )
- PubkeyAuthentication is set to yes
- AuthorizedKeysFile %h/.ssh/authorized_keys
- AuthorizedKeysFile has my public key in it.
- AuthorizedKeysFile is set to mode 600 (i’ve tried 644, 700, 777.. i know ssh server usually blocks any attempt to use these if permissions are too open, but idk what else to try)
- ~/.ssh is set to mode 700
- id_rsa.pub is set to mode 600
- The user and group are set to the proper user.. what am I missing?
These answers are provided by our Community. If you find them useful, show some love by clicking the heart. If you run into issues leave a comment, or add your own answer to help others.